Sunday, June 17, 2012

unresistable - first time up on Bellas back

I had planed to ride Bella for the first time this weekend. if I were lucky enough to have somebody help me. But with my friend, that had offered to help. sick and Basti occupied otherwise I was out of luck. So as the days before I tacked her up and longed her. She has become so good at it. She doesn't argue with me anymore. No rearing and switching directions or bucking anymore. Instead she accepts the side reins nicely and reacts to my commands in a split of a second. I've never had a horse listen to me that perfectly. Especially not in such a short time! She halts, walks, trotts and canters... she will do everything. Ok, the canter still needs a bit of work. The right lead is great, but she tends to slightly race of on the left lead. Also she will still run into the canter, but that has gotten really good. So no worry there, that she will soon be transitioning from trott to canter perfectly too!

She was sooo good again yesteday, that I just really, really needed to get up and ride. Well actually I thought I'd just get her used to standing next to the cavaletti I use to get up and maybe lie over her back. With nobody there to hold on to her I would be able to jump of quickly again incase she got any silly ideas. Her behavior when I started longing her was still stuck in my mind and worried me a bit. I just didn't feel like sitting on a bucking and rearing horse with nobody there to help. But then she hadn't shown that behavior in a while and and been so good instead.

I led her up to the cavaletti, took of the longing girth and loosened the stirrups. I got up on the cavaletti and pulled left and right at the saddle. Bella stood there and turned her head looking at me... I put myself over the saddle like a sack of corn and she still stood there... She was making it really hard for me to resist to get on. 

So I gave in to temptation... I put my foot in the stirup and got on.... and Bella just stood there and turned her head again. She looked at me kind of like she was asking "So what now, mum?" It was so cute! I took up the rains and gave the comand "walk" ... nothing happend. I slightly put my legs to her side and said "walk" ... nothing happend.... so the charm is three, right? I tried again and she started walking. She got on the bit at once and just walked. It did feel a bit unsure of everything. But then I guess I'm the heaviest she's ever had on her and she hasn't been ridden in a while either.

I we rode around the arena once in each direction and then I gave the command "halt"... guess what... nothing happend. Same thing as before.. three is the charm. Third time I gave the command, she halted and I got off...

Have I told you I love this girl??? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment