Monday, December 5, 2011

Day II – Hearts first lunging lesson


Yesterday, our second day, I tried on the saddles that I had brought with me from Germany. Both of them seem to fit ok, but not as good as I would like them to. I guess I will have to have some changes done. But since Hearts muscles will hopefully change a lot during training, for now I will have to find another way. The jumping saddle just needs to be lifted up a bit in the back, so I will try to find a foam cushion, that is shaped like a V to do the job for a while. 

Today I will use the lunging girth. I have no idea if Heart has ever been lunged, but he most probably has not. There are so many things I don’t know about him. Does he know what it is to be tied to a pole or even be cross tied? I started of by tying him loosely to one of our poles. He seemed to know it. Standing quietly he only tried to byte the wood every now and then, which always resulted in me scolding him. But he didn’t really care about me raising my voice and pointing my figure as if he was a misbehaving kid… it never took long until my baby boy was chewing on the pole once more… Other than that he was very good and we’d have be ready to go in no time, if it hadn’t been for me stopping for a cuddle all the time. He seems to like that as much as me ;)

We started off with some stretching exercises. He is one heck of an athlete, he can bend and twist himself, it's amazing! He also has a much nicer walk and trot than you can see on the videos from his sales ad. It's fun watching him.

He's a bit stubborn too. It is so cute. He quickly learned that if he managed to point his head to and his but away from me, I could not keep him going around me. So he would keep trying to do so. Since Elisabeth had told me not to get into a fight with a thoroughbred I each time rolled up the longing line, walked up to him and started over.... after a couple of times he exactly knew what was happening. It seemed like he was making fun of me! So I did get a bit more decisive. He stood there looking at me, fidgeting about with one of his rear legs. Not exactly kicking, but kind of like saying "no mum, but I don't want to!". It made me laugh, it was so adorable! Finally he did move on and never tried that game again. He really is a big baby and I am very proud of him! :)
 proudly presenting his new halter ;)




 showing of his trot infront of his two pasture buddies

 Lori(right is our barn owner) and Lori watching Tommi and his new girl friend

 what a life :D

No comments:

Post a Comment